Bacon and Artichoke Pasta
- About 3 tablespoons EVOO
- 1/4 pound guanciale or bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock/poaching liquid from Poached Chicken
- 10 to 12 artichoke hearts, drained, from two 6-ounce pouches, one 10-ounce box of frozen and defrosted, or one 14-ounce can
- Pici, bucatini or penne pasta
- A fat handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 to 2/3 cup freshly grated caciocavallo or pecorino cheese
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the EVOO, 3 turns of the pan. Add the guanciale or bacon and cook until crisp. Add the onion, garlic and a little pepper and stir for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and stir. Add the stock and artichokes and heat through. Cool and store for a make-ahead meal. Reheat over medium heat.
To serve, bring water to boil for the pasta. Salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente, reserving 1 cup of the starchy water just before draining. Add the pasta to the artichoke mixture. Sprinkle with the parsley and half the cheese and cook, tossing to combine and adding some of the starchy pasta water if necessary to loosen the sauce, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with more cheese on top.
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray