Beet and Walnut Salad
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 heart romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 can 14 ounces sliced beets, drained and chopped
- 4 radishes, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons black cherry, seedless raspberry or apricot preserved
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, eyeball it
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds, optional
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Toast nuts in a small pan over medium heat, 3 to 4 minutes, then let them cool.
Combine chopped lettuce, beets, radishes, onion, celery and toasted walnuts in a shallow bowl. Place the preserves into a small bowl and whisk vinegar into it. Add poppy seeds to dressing if you are using them. Whisk extra-virgin olive oil into the dressing and season it with salt and pepper. Dress salad and toss to coat evenly then adjust salt and pepper to your taste.