- 1 pound vermicelli
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed away from skins
- 6 scallions, whites and greens, cut into 3-inch pieces then shredded lengthwise
- 20 leaves fresh basil (1 cup), shredded into a chiffonade
Cook vermicelli in salted water to al dente; drain. Heat extra-virgin olive oil and butter with garlic over medium heat and cook garlic until it begins to soften, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove garlic and raise heat. Fry the scallions in the seasoned oil for 3 to 4 minutes. Add well-drained pasta to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Toss the pasta liberally with the scallions and seasoned oil. Place a plate smaller than the pan down over the vermicelli and weight it with a few cans or a heavy skillet. Let the vermicelli brown and crisp up a bit. Remove the skillet and plate and invert onto a serving platter. Garnish with basil.