Holiday Spiced Nuts
This is a double batch, 3 cups to serve, 3 cups to gift-away. Buy nuts from bulk bins in market ? they are better priced than nuts on baking[ aisle.]
- 2 cups walnut halves
- 1 cup peeled hazelnuts
- 1 cup whole unsalted cashews
- 1 cup whole pecan halves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground anise
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, eyeball it
- 1 cup smoked almonds (recommended: Diamond Smokehouse almonds)
Heat a large skillet and cook nuts over moderate heat 7 to 8 minutes until golden and well toasted your nose will know when they are done. Transfer nuts to a plate and return pan to stove top. Add butter to the pan in small pieces. Melt butter and spice it with anise, cinnamon, pepper and nutmeg. Let butter infuse a minute then pour over nuts. Turn off heat. Add smoked nuts to the skillet and turn to combine evenly with butter.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.