- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup chicken stock/poaching liquid from Poached Chicken, recipe follows
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1-inch piece ginger root, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Sriracha, optional
- Juice of 1 lime
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or stir-fry oil
- 2 medium leeks or 1 yellow onion, halved and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 to 4 ribs celery, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced on an angle
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
- 1 to 2 red long, jalapeno or Fresno chiles, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas or defrosted whole snap peas, thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- About 1 1/2 pounds cooked Poached Chicken, recipe follows, pulled or thinly sliced
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup white or brown rice, cooked to package directions
- About 1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
In a small pot, loosen the almond butter over low heat, then add the stock, hoisin, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, Sriracha and lime juice, season with black pepper, bring to a bubble and simmer to let sauce thicken and flavors combine.
Heat the oil over high heat in a large skillet. Add the leeks or onions, celery, carrots, chiles and snap peas and stir-fry to tender-crisp, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the water chestnuts and toss to combine. Add the sauce and chicken and toss to combine. Season with salt to taste. Cool and store for a make-ahead meal. Reheat quickly over medium-high heat when you are ready to serve.
To serve, cook the rice to package directions. Toast the almonds in a small pan until golden and fragrant.
Serve the chicken with the rice; sprinkle with the almonds.
- One 4-to 5-pound chicken
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Herb bundle of parsley, rosemary and thyme tied with a string
Place the chicken in a large stockpot. Add the celery, carrot, onion, garlic, lemon, bay leaf, peppercorns and the herb bundle; season with salt. Cover the chicken with water and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to a low, rolling simmer. Simmer 60 to 75 minutes, then cool the chicken in its stock. Strain the stock. Remove the chicken in large pieces from the skin and bones. Cut half of the meat into bite-size chunks. Thinly slice or pull the remaining meat.
Yield: 3 pounds meat, plus 2 to 3 quarts stock