Beer Battered Tilapia with Red Chile Mandarin Orange Sauce
- Olive oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 2/3 cup beer
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tilapia or flounder fillets, about 5 ounces each
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons red chili paste
- 1 (11-ounce) can mandarin oranges, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Heat enough olive oil, to shallow fry the fish, in a large skillet over medium-high heat
In a shallow dish, whisk together 1/2 cup of the flour, beer, egg, and baking powder. Place remaining 1/4 cup flour in a separate shallow dish.
Season both sides of fish fillets with salt and black pepper. Dredge fish in flour, turn to coat both sides and then shake off excess flour. Dunk fish in beer mixture and turn to coat both sides.
Add fish to hot oil and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, until cooked through and opaque. Remove fish from oil. Place on a paper towel lined plate.
While the fish is frying, in a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice and chili paste. Add mandarin oranges and cilantro and toss to combine. Serve sauce over fish.
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller