Penne with Sweet Potatoes and Fennel
- 12 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (regular or lowfat)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups leftover roasted sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Keep warm.
Meanwhile, melt butter and olive oil together in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel, rosemary and sugar and cook 10 minutes, until fennel is tender and golden brown. Stir in the sweet potatoes.
Whisk together chicken broth, milk, and flour. Gradually add to skillet and simmer 3 minutes, until mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Add the pasta and stir to coat. Stir in Parmesan, parsley, salt, and pepper and cook until heated through, stirring constantly, about 3 minutes.
2005, Robin Miller, All Rights Reserved