Turkey Soup with Egg Noodles and Vegetables
- 2 teaspoons olive or vegetable oil
- 2 leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 to 4 cups leftover cooked turkey, shredded or cubed
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 6 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
Heat oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks, carrots, garlic, and celery and saute 4 minutes, until soft. Add turkey, bay leaves, thyme, salt, and black pepper and stir to mix well. Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer 10 minutes.
Return mixture to a boil and add egg noodles. Cook 10 minutes, until egg noodles are just tender. Stir in peas and cook until peas are just heated through, about 1 minute.
Remove from heat, discard bay leaves and stir in parsley.