Bacon Cornbread Fritters with Spicy Buttermilk Dip
- Total Time:
- 35 min
- 10 min
- 25 min
- About 24 bites
- 4 cups canola oil
- 2 1/2 cups baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 6 strips cooked bacon, chopped
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 small jalapeno, veins and seeds removed, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
DirectionsFritters: Spicy Buttermilk Dip: Fritters:
Heat a large pot or deep-fryer with the canola oil to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the baking mix, cornmeal, and sugar. Beat in the eggs and milk until well incorporated. Mix in the corn, thyme, paprika, bacon, melted butter, and salt and pepper.
Carefully drop the fritter batter in hot oil, 1 heaping tablespoon at a time. Fry in batches of 8 to 10 making sure not to overcrowd the pot. Fry until brown and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the fritters to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with a side of Spicy Buttermilk Dip.
Add all of the dip ingredients to a serving bowl and mix together until well blended.