- 1 stick butter
- 3 cups diced onions
- 3 cups diced celery
- 3 cups sliced breakfast sausage
- 25 slices white and wheat bread
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (recommended: Bell's)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups turkey stock
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
In a large frying pan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Saute the onions and celery for 5 minutes. Next, add the sausage and cook until browned, about 10 more minutes, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, break up the bread slices by hand into medium-small pieces into a large bowl. Add the seasonings and mix well. Then add the cooked vegetables and sausage and mix again. Finally, add the turkey stock and mix well. There will be enough stuffing for a 10 to 15-pound bird and an 8 by 8-inch pan.
Recipe courtesy Becky Rand, owner of Becky's Diner in Portland, ME.