- 6 to 8 unpeeled 'old' potatoes, eg. Russet or Yukon Gold
- 1 bunch scallions (use the bulb and green stem)
- 12 fluid ounces (350 milliliters/1 1/2 cups) milk
- 2 to 4 ounces (55 to 110 grams/1/2 to 1 stick) butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Scrub the potatoes and boil them in their skins. Chop the scallions finely. Cover with cold milk and bring slowly to a boil. Simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes, turn off the heat and leave to infuse. Peel and mash the freshly boiled potatoes and while hot, mix with the boiling milk and scallions. Beat in the butter. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve in 1 large or 6 individual bowls with a knob of butter melting in the centre. Champ may be put aside and reheated later in a moderate oven, 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Cover with tin foil while it reheats so that it doesn't get a skin.
Note: This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.