Shrimp Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dry white vermouth or white wine
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 3/4 pound cooked and peeled medium shrimp, chopped
- 4 cups cooked long grain white rice, recipe follows
- 2 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 package defrosted frozen peas
- Cooked Rice:
- 1 1/3 cups long grain rice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter
In a small bowl, stir together broth, vermouth, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
In a large skillet heat vegetable oil over moderately high heat until very hot. Add scallions, gingerroot, and shrimp, cook for 1 minute, and transfer to a platter. Add rice and cook until crispy. Add everything back to the pan, add the eggs, and cook until scrambled. Add the peas and cook, stirring for 2 to 3 minutes or until crispy. Add broth mixture and stir to mix well.Cooked Rice:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When it comes to a boil, add salt and then rice. Stir and then boil for 15 minutes or until just cooked. Drain, toss with butter, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and serve.
Cook's note: 1 cup raw equals 3 cups cooked.
Yield: 4 cups cooked rice