Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp with Walnut Crumb Topping
- For Fruit:
- 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb, leaves trimmed, stalks only, cut into 3/4-inch pieces (About. 3 cups)
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons of flour
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, freshly grated
- For Topping:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a medium bowl, combine rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and lemon zest. Transfer to a buttered 8-inch baking dish.
For topping, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon and walnuts, pour in melted butter and toss to combine, tumble over fruit mixture. Bake until fruit is bubbling and topping is browned.
Serve warm with softly whipped cream or vanilla creme anglaise.
(recipe courtesy of Melissa Murphy, Sweet Melissa Patisserie, Inc.)