Stuffed Sauteed Sandwiches, Two Ways
- 4 slices turkey bacon, for the kids
- Mesclun salad dressed with vinaigrette, for the adults
- 8 slices quality whole wheat bread
- 1/3 cup peanut butter, for kids
- 2 tablespoons plumped up raisins, dried cranberries or sliced bananas, for kids
- Slices of fresh mozzarella, for adults
- Anchovies, capers and torn basil, for adults
- 3 to 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lay uncooked bacon on a baking sheet and bake until crisp. Get the salad ready for the adults.
Meanwhile for the kids, remove the crusts from half of the bread and spread the bread with some peanut butter and top with either raisins, cranberries or slices of banana. You'll have 2 closed sandwiches which you should then cut into squares or triangles to create smaller bite sized pieces.
For the adults, layer their bread with mozzarella and top with anchovies or capers and basil.
Heat two skillets until warm, one with butter for the kids portion, the other with olive oil for the adults. Gently cook some garlic in the adult's portion as the oil is heating up.
Dip the adults and kids sandwiches in the egg and let it soak up. Saute the kids portion in butter and the adults in olive oil; saute until crisp and warm; drain briefly on paper towels.
Serve kids stuffed sandwiches with bacon and adults with salad.