Italian Winter Greens with Pear-Walnut Dressing
- 2 medium shallots, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil, plus more for pan
- 1 Bosc pear, cored (3/4 diced and 1/4 thinly sliced, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons verjus or 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 bunch rainbow chard
- 1 bunch beet greens
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup toasted walnut pieces
In a medium-sized saute pan add the sliced shallots with a drizzle of oil and slowly cook over medium heat until well caramelized, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the diced pear and cook down until pulpy.
Carefully add the pear mixture to a blender along with the verjus, honey, 1/2 cup grapeseed oil, salt and pepper, to taste. Puree until smooth adding a little water to thin if necessary; it should be the consistency of a thick vinaigrette. Set aside in the refrigerator to cool.
Wash all the greens and remove the stems. Tear the leaves into bite-size pieces and dry well. In a large bowl or platter add the leaves and toss. Pour the dressing over the salad, and toss gently. Garnish with Parmesan, toasted walnuts and pear slices.
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence