Italian Winter Greens with Pear-Walnut Dressing
- 2 medium shallots, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil, plus more for pan
- 1 Bosc pear, cored (3/4 diced and 1/4 thinly sliced, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons verjus or 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch kale
- 1 bunch rainbow chard
- 1 bunch beet greens
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 cup toasted walnut pieces
In a medium-sized saute pan add the sliced shallots with a drizzle of oil and slowly cook over medium heat until well caramelized, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the diced pear and cook down until pulpy.
Carefully add the pear mixture to a blender along with the verjus, honey, 1/2 cup grapeseed oil, salt and pepper, to taste. Puree until smooth adding a little water to thin if necessary; it should be the consistency of a thick vinaigrette. Set aside in the refrigerator to cool.
Wash all the greens and remove the stems. Tear the leaves into bite-size pieces and dry well. In a large bowl or platter add the leaves and toss. Pour the dressing over the salad, and toss gently. Garnish with Parmesan, toasted walnuts and pear slices.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.