Vegetarian Chili with Black Beans and Peppers Sweet and Hot
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen chopped onion (about 1 medium-large yellow onion)
- 1 large celery rib, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 (1-pound bag) frozen bell pepper stir-fry mix (red, green, and yellow peppers; do not thaw)
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 3 cups cooked or canned black beans, drained
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, with their liquid
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red pepper sauce
- 4 cups Al Dente Make Ahead Rice, reheat, see above recipe
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oil in medium-size Dutch oven over moderate heat for 1 minute. Add onion, celery, stir-fry mix, garlic, cumin, and oregano and cook, stirring often, until vegetables are limp, about 5 minutes.
Mash remaining 1/2 cup beans, mix into chili, cover, and simmer slowly until flavors mellow, about 15 minutes. Taste for salt and adjust as needed. Mound rice in heated deep platter, spoon chili on top, sprinkle with cilantro, and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.