41. Vidalia Onion Gratin Layer 4 sliced Vidalia onions in a buttered 2-quart baking dish with 1 tablespoon chopped sage. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 tablespoons instant flour. Dot with butter and bake at 425 degrees F, 45 minutes. Uncover, top with 1/2 cup crumbled cornbread-stuffing cubes and bake 20 more minutes.
42. Endive Gratin Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle in 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar and a pinch of kosher salt. Add 6 halved endives, cut-side down. Top with 1/2 cup shredded Gruyère; cover and cook 25 minutes. Sprinkle with seasoned breadcrumbs.
43. Sausage-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Bake 4 small sweet potatoes (pricked with a fork) at 400 degrees F, 40 minutes; cool, then halve lengthwise and scoop the flesh into a bowl. Mix in 1/2 cup browned crumbled sausage; spoon into the potato skins and sprinkle with grated cheddar. Bake 15 minutes.
44. Mashed Potatoes with Chives Cover 2 pounds whole russet potatoes with cold salted water; simmer until fork-tender, 45 minutes. Drain, peel and mash with4 tablespoons butter. Add 1 cup warm milk, and salt and pepper; mash. Stir in 1/3 cup chopped chives and sprinkle with paprika.
45. Bourbon–Sweet Potato Mash Bake 4 pounds sweet potatoes (pricked with a fork) at 400 degrees F, 50 minutes. Let cool. Scoop out the flesh; puree with 3 tablespoons butter, 1 tablespoon bourbon, and salt to taste.
46. Two-Potato Hash Brown 2 each diced russet and sweet potatoes and 4 whole garlic cloves in 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat, 20 minutes. Add some chopped mixed herbs; season with salt.
47. Roasted Potatoes with Sage Preheat a baking sheet in a 425 degrees F oven. Toss 2 pounds halved small red potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 teaspoons kosher salt; season with pepper. Brush the baking sheet with olive oil; sprinkle with 1/2 cup sage. Add the potatoes, cut-side down. Roast 20 minutes; season with salt.
48. Turnips and Broccolini Cook 3 bunches each trimmed baby turnips and broccolini separately in boiling salted water, 5 minutes; drain. Cook 6 tablespoons butter and 1/2 cup cream sherry in a pot over medium heat, 8 minutes. Toss in the vegetables; season with salt.
49. Parsnips with Chestnut Cream Quarter 2 pounds parsnips lengthwise; cut into 2-inch pieces. Toss with 1 pound peeled pearl onions, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper. Roast at 450 degrees F, 25 minutes. Serve with 2 tablespoons warmed canned chestnut puree whisked with 3 tablespoons heavy cream. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
50. Latin-Style Root Vegetables Cut 1 pound thawed frozen yucca, 2 each plantains and white yams, and 1 onion into 2-inch chunks. Toss with 1/3 cup each chopped cilantro and olive oil, 4 chopped garlic cloves, 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne in a roasting pan. Add 1 cup water. Cover and roast at 425 degrees F, 1 hour. Uncover and roast 30 more minutes.
Photographs by Justin Walker