- 1 1/2 pounds thin white fish fillets, such as lemon or gray sole
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons Creole Spice mix, recipe follows
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Tartar Sauce, recipe follows
- Creole Spice Mix:
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Tartar Sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup minced sweet pickle
- 1 hard-boiled large egg, forced through a coarse sieve
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons drained bottled capers
- 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried tarragon
- 2 tablespoons Creole or Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Place the fish in a large shallow bowl and pour the milk over it. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Mix the flour, spice mix, and salt in a pie plate lined with a piece of parchment paper. Working in batches, remove the fillets from the milk and drain off the excess. Transfer to the flour mixture and, pulling up the sides of the parchment, turn to coat on both sides. Flour only as many fillets as will fit in a large skillet at one time.
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over high heat until just smoking. Add the fillets and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a heatproof plate and keep in the oven while you cook the remaining fillets. Repeat the procedure with the remaining fillets, flour mix, and oil. Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce.Creole Spice Mix:
Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container.
Yield: about 1/2 cupTartar Sauce:
Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Beer Batter Fish and Spicy Chips with Lemon-Habanero Tartar Sauce and Serrano Vinegar, Halibut Fish Tacos with Guacamole Sauce, Whole Baked Fish Cuban-Style, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Christmas Dinner Recipes, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Beef Wellington Recipes, Roasted Turkey Recipes