- 1 (12-ounce) bottle hard cider
- 3/4 cup chicken broth, homemade or low-sodium canned
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound Gruyere, grated
- 1/2 pound sharp Vermont or New York yellow cheddar
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon, whiskey or apple jack, optional
- Cooked chicken and apple sausages, chorizo, or mini hot dogs; sliced baguette or black bread, radishes, roasted shallots, roasted mushrooms or small fingerlings or baby potatoes, pears, apples, or pretzels.
Heat cider, broth, Worcestershire, and garlic in a medium pot over medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
Toss the cheeses together in a medium bowl. Sift the corn starch over the cheese, and toss to coat lightly.
Using a wooden spoon, sprinkle some cheese mixture into the warm liquid and continue to stir in small amounts of cheese until it is all incorporated and the fondue is smooth and melted, about 15 minutes. Stir in cayenne, salt and Bourbon, if using.
Copyright 2008 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
Halloween Web 2008