Coconut Peanut Bowl with Chicken
- 2/3 cup pineapple juice
- 2/3 cup lite soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 (5 to 6 ounce) chicken breasts, boneless and skinless.
- 6 cups water, plus 4 cups for cooking the rice, and 2 cups for the vegetables
- 3 lemongrass stalks, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 7 ounces lite coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons peanut butter, creamy natural or reduced fat natural
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 cups brown rice, medium grain
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 cup pearl onions, peeled and cleaned
- 1/2 cup snow pea pods or sugar snap peas
- 1/2 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1 ounce cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
Coconut Peanut Sauce: In a medium 4-quart saucepan, add 6 cups water, lemongrass, ginger and kaffir lime leaves. Squeeze the lemon into the pan and add the 2 rinds into the pot. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium heat. Continue cooking for approximately 30 to 45 minutes until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat, strain through a fine strainer into a medium 4-quart saucepan. Set aside 1/2 cup of the liquid and chill.
Whisk the coconut milk, peanut butter, sugar, and lime juice into the strained liquid. Separately, add and dissolve cornstarch to remaining 1/2 cup of chilled liquid and whisk into pan. Bring to a low boil, remove from heat and set aside.
Brown Rice: In a 3-quart saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil and add rice and salt. Return to boil, reduce to medium/low heat and cook until water is absorbed, approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
Roast Chicken Breasts: Place marinated chicken breasts in a baking pan and roast at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and slice breasts on the bias.
Vegetables: In a 2-quart saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add carrots, onions, and red pepper. Steam for 2 to 3 minutes until vegetables are 'al dente.' Add pea pods and peas. Steam for 1 minute.
Assembly: Place 1 cup of rice in center of plate/bowl. Top with vegetables and chicken, placing pea pods on top. Top with 1 (4-ounce) ladles of hot coconut peanut sauce. Garnish with cilantro and peanut pieces.
Recipe courtesy Michael Moorman