This is another simple salad that I really enjoy whenever avocados are at their peak. I'm a firm believer that the only avocado to buy is the Haas variety! Pistachio oil is a darker, denser oil with a deep flavor.
- 2 medium firm-ripe avocados
- 4 cups moderately packed mixed young savory greens such as arugula, red mustard,
- mizuna, cress, etc.
- Pistachio oil vinaigrette (recipe follows)
- Garnish: Very thinly sliced parsnips which have been deep-fried until golden and crisp,
- if desired. These can be done 1 or 2 hours ahead.
Peel, halve and pit the avocados. Toss the greens with the vinaigrette and arrange on chilled plates. Slice the avocado halves into fans and arrange on top along with parsnip chips if using. Serve immediately.
PISTACHIO OIL VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 2 teaspoons honey (or to taste)
- 5 to 6 tablespoons pistachio oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper