Crispy Benne Seed Shrimp with Sweet Mustard and Hot Chile Garlic Sauces
- 20 large white shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 tablespoons sea salt
- 8 to 10 fried whole cilantro leaves, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons scallions, sliced thinly, on the bias
- Mustard Sauce:
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- Hot Chile Garlic Sauce:
- 2 teaspoons hot chile garlic sauce (sambal)
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 1/2 cups chilled soda water
- 4 tablespoons black sesame seeds (goma seeds)
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons sliced finely chives
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
Preheat the frying oil to 360 degrees F.
Place shrimp on paper towels and refrigerate. They must be free of moisture to hold the batter.
Mix together ingredients for the Mustard Sauce and set aside.
Mix together ingredients for the Hot Chile Garlic Sauce and set aside.
For the batter: In a large stainless or glass mixing bowl, mix the cornstarch and flour together. Add the soda water gradually, until a forms smooth thick batter the consistency of pancake batter. Add seeds and herbs. Keep the batter cold and use immediately.
Grab the shrimp 3 or 4 at a time by the tail and dip into the batter. Shake off excess and place in the hot oil. While the shrimp are frying, lay out the plates and drizzle the 2 sauces around using a coffee spoon. Remove the shrimp from the hot oil and place on absorbent paper. Season with sea salt.
Note: Always get more shrimp as you can easily eat more that 5 of these!
Thank you! your flag was submitted.