Portobello and Mozzarella Sandwich
- 8 small portobello caps
- 4 (2-inch) slices of fresh mozzarella
- 2/3 cup seasoned flour
- 1 egg, slightly beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup finely chopped mild herbs
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs
- Essence, recipe follows
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the fryer. Season each mushroom and slice of cheese with salt and pepper. Sandwich the slices of Mozzarella cheese between two portobello caps. Mix the herbs with the bread crumbs and season with Essence. Dredge each sandwich in the seasoned flour. Dip the sandwich in the egg wash, removing any excess. Dredge the sandwich in the herb bread crumbs. Fry each sandwich for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sandwich is golden brown. Remove from the fryer and drain on a paper-lined plate. Season with Essence.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.