Spicy Honey Barbecued Chicken
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sriracha (hot red pepper chili paste)
- 2 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 12 skin-on chicken thighs (about 3 1/2 pounds), or drummettes
- Honeyed Apple-Cabbage Slaw, recipe follows
- Honeyed Apple-Cabbage Slaw:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon thyme honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 head cabbage)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into matchsticks
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 Belgian endive, cored and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced yellow onion, preferably sweet onion, such as Maui or Walla Walla
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
In a large bowl, combine soy sauce, onions, rice wine vinegar, honey, cilantro, sriracha, sesame seeds, ginger, garlic and sesame oil, and stir well to combine. Place the chicken in a large plastic bag or baking dish and cover with the marinade. Toss to combine and place in the refrigerator, turning frequently, to marinate at least 6 hours.
Preheat the grill to medium and the oven to 350 degrees F.
Remove the chicken from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Pat the chicken dry, and grill the chicken, skin-side up, until browned, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place the leftover marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and simmer until slightly thick, about 10 minutes.
Turn the chicken, and grill until the skin is browned and crispy, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken skin-side up to a roasting pan and roast, basting with the marinade occasionally, until cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes more.
Arrange the chicken on a platter, and spoon the reduced marinade on top. Serve with the Honeyed Apple-Cabbage Slaw.Honeyed Apple-Cabbage Slaw:
In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, honey, vinegar, salt, and pepper, and whisk well. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine green cabbage, apples, carrot, endive, onion and parsley. Toss with the dressing until evenly coated. Place in the refrigerator, covered, to chill slightly before serving.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2001