Escabeche of Red Snapper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Six (6-ounce) red snapper fillets
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons saffron threads
- 1 1/2 tablespoons green peppercorns
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 red bell peppers, cored, seeded and sliced
- 2 orange bell peppers, cored, seeded and sliced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, cored, seeded and sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, cored, seeded and sliced
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 6 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound mussels, scrubbed well and steamed, for garnish, if desired
In a large skillet heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over moderately high heat until it is hot, add the fillets, skin side down, and cook them for 4 minutes, or until the skin is very crisp. Turn the fillets and cook them for 2 minutes more.
In another large skillet cook the onion in the remaining oil over moderately high heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the fresh coriander, coriander seeds, saffron, green peppercorns, orange zest, garlic and bell peppers and cook the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes. Add the wine and the orange and lemon juice and tomatoes and cook the mixture with the salt and pepper.
Transfer the fish to a large glass or ceramic dish, cover it with the vegetable mixture and chill it, covered, overnight.
Before serving, let the fish stand in a cool place for 1 1/2 hours. Garnish each serving with two of the steamed mussels, if desired
Thank you! your flag was submitted.