Chickpea Chicken-Noodle Soup
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces spaghetti, broken into small pieces
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 -ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 -ounce can diced tomatoes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 small skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 1 pound), thinly sliced
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the spaghetti and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add the carrot, garlic, cumin, cinnamon and half of the cilantro; cook, stirring, until the spices are toasted, about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, chickpeas, diced tomatoes, 1 cup water, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the spaghetti is just tender, about 8 more minutes.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add it to the soup. Simmer until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.