Apricot and Walnut Phyllo Cups
- 1 1/2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped and toasted walnuts
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, from 1 large orange, plus more for garnish, optional,
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Special Equipment: a 12-count mini muffin pan
Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
Place a sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface. Brush the dough with melted butter. Place another sheet of dough on top and brush with melted butter. Repeat with remaining dough and melted butter. Using a sharp knife, trim the pastry into a 12 by 9-inch rectangle. Cut the dough into 12 (3-inch) square pieces. Gently press each piece of dough into the muffin pan. Spoon the apricot filling into the cups. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until the pastry is golden. Remove from the oven and let the phyllo cups cool for 10 minutes. Using a dessert spoon or a small spatula, remove the phyllo cups from the pan. Place on a rack and cool completely.
Arrange the phyllo cups on a platter, garnish with orange zest, if using, and serve. Or, store in an airtight plastic container for up to 4 days.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis