Grilled Herbed Tofu with Avocado Cream
- One 12-ounce container extra-firm tofu, drained and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon herbs de Provence
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- One 6-ounce ripe Haas avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 packed cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 large lime, zested
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the tofu: Place a nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. (If not using a nonstick grill pan, oil the grill lightly before cooking the tofu to prevent sticking.)
Cut the tofu in half diagonally to make 2 large triangles. Cut each large triangle in half to make 4 smaller triangles. Cut through each triangle horizontally to make 8 triangles. Brush on each side with olive oil. Season with the herbs de Provence, salt and pepper. Grill the tofu until light golden, 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a platter.
For the cream: In a food processor, blend the avocado, parsley, broth, olive oil, lime juice, garlic and lime zest until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon the cream over the tofu and serve.