Orange-Scented Almond and Olive Oil Muffins
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 large orange, zested
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Cook's Note)
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
Cook's Note: To toast the almonds, arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for 6 to 8 minutes until lightly toasted. Cool completely before using.
Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 18 muffin cup pan with paper liners. Set aside.
Using a hand mixer on medium speed, in a medium bowl, beat the sugar and eggs together until pale and thick, about 2 minutes. Beat in the orange juice, olive oil, yogurt, vanilla extract, almond extract, and orange zest.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder, and salt.
In batches, stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just blended. Stir in the almonds. Fill the cups with batter, 1/3 of the way full. Bake until golden on top and a tester inserted into the center of the muffins comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 20 minutes. Place on a wire rack and cool for 20 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis