Grilled Shrimp with Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- 4 servings
- 2 ears fresh corn, husked
- 1 tomato, cored, seeded, chopped
- 1 cup drained canned black beans
- 1/2 small red onion chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, leaves chopped
- 1/2 fresh lime, juiced
- 2 jalapeno chilies, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground toasted cumin seeds
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds large uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined
Soak bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes. Prepare barbecue (medium high heat). Grill corn until just tender and brown in spots, turning frequently, about 10 minutes. Cut corn from cob. Transfer corn kernels to medium bowl. Add tomato, black beans, onion, cilantro, lime juice, 1 jalapeno and 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin and stir to blend. Combine wine, olive oil, remaining jalapeno and 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin in a large bowl. Add shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove shrimp from marinade; discard marinade. Thread shrimp on bamboo skewers. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill until just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Spoon salsa on platter. Top with shrimp skewers.
c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved