Grilled Yellow Fin Tuna with Grilled Pineapple Salsa
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus 1 teaspoon
- 4 (6-ounce) tuna steaks
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- Fresh cilantro sprigs, for garnish
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
- Published by William Morrow, 1993.
Brush the pineapple slices lightly with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, then place the pineapple slices on the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until softened slightly and nicely marked by the grill, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove from the grill and allow to cool to room temperature. Dice the pineapple slices (discard the tough core portions) and place in a medium nonreactive bowl. Add the red onion, bell pepper, vinegar, jalapenos, lime juice, cilantro and minced garlic. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the olive oil and stir well to combine. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and set aside as you prepare the tuna.
Set a grill pan over medium-high heat. Season the tuna steaks with remaining salt and Essence and brush with the 2 remaining tablespoons of the olive oil. Place steaks on the grill, turning 45 degrees after 2 minutes. Repeat on the other side for an additional 2 minutes or until medium-rare. Remove from heat and set aside. Serve with the Grilled Pineapple Salsa.
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2007