Herb and Cheese Scones
- 1 recipe White Soda Bread with Herbs, recipe follows
- 1 cup grated mature Cheddar cheese
- Egg wash, 1 egg and 1 teaspoon milk, whisked together
- WHITE SODA BREAD AND SCONES
- 1 pound white unbleached flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 to 14 ounces buttermilk
- WHITE SODA BREAD OR SCONES WITH HERBS
- 1 recipe White Soda Bread dough
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, e.g. rosemary or sage, thyme, chives, parsley
Make the White Soda Bread with Herbs dough. Stamp into scones, brush with egg wash and dip into grated cheddar cheese. Bake for 20 minutes in a 450 degree oven.WHITE SODA BREAD AND SCONES
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
In a mixing bowl sift together 1 pound flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Make a well in the center. Pour most of the milk into the well. Using one hand, mix in the flour from sides of the bowl, adding more milk if necessary. The dough should be softish, not too wet and sticky. When it all comes together, turn the dough onto a well-floured counter. Wash and dry hands. Knead lightly for 1 second, just to tidy it up, flip over. Pat dough into a round about 11/2 inches deep and cut a cross into dough over the sides of the bread to let the fairies out. Bake in preheated 450 degree oven for 15 minutes, then turn down the oven to 400 degrees for another 30 minutes or until cooked. If in doubt, tap the bottom of the bread, it should sound hollow.WHITE SODA BREAD OR SCONES WITH HERBS
Add fresh herbs to dry ingredients of white soda bread dough and proceed making dough as above. Shape into loaf or scones and bake as for soda bread. If making scones bake for 20 minutes in a 450 degree oven.