Iced Cucumber Soup
- 3 kirby cucumbers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups plain yogurt, whole milk or low fat
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 whole peeled garlic clove, crushed and skewered with a toothpick
- 1/4 cup packed fresh mint leaves off the stem and chopped roughly
- 1/4 cup raisins plumped up in hot water
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 1/2 cup crushed ice cubes, optional
Peel and seed the cucumbers, cut them into 1/4-inch dice and toss with the salt; set aside for 15 minutes. Transfer the cucumber cubes to a sieve, rinse them under water and pat dry with towels.
In a bowl combine the cucumbers and yogurt. Gradually and slowly whisk in the olive oil, making sure yogurt absorbs it all. Add the garlic clove and mint, cover and refrigerate until well chilled. (If taking the soup on a picnic, chill it first in a bowl, then transfer it to a thermos.)
Before serving, remove the garlic cloves, give the soup a stir and thin with ice water if you wish; adjust the seasoning.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.