Island Ceviche with Tropical Fruit
- 1/2 pound medium-size raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 pound bay scallops, trimmed of muscle
- 1/2 pound salmon fillet, cut in 1/2- inch pieces
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 scallions, sliced on diagonal
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 cup lime juice, or enough to cover
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 mango, diced
- 1 pink grapefruit, cut in sections and diced, juice reserved
- 1 orange, cut in sections and diced, juice reserved
- Salt and pepper
Blanch the shrimp in boiling water until no longer translucent, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
Combine the shrimp, scallops, salmon, red pepper, scallions, jalapeno, and lime juice in a large bowl. Refrigerate, covered, for 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain off most of the liquid.
Whisk together the olive oil, orange juice, and cilantro. Pour over fish and add diced mango, grapefruit, orange pieces, and their juices. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Recipe courtesy Katy Keck, Windjammer Barefoot Cruises