Brustengolo (Corn Flour Cake)
- 3 1/2 cups peeled, cored and sliced Granny Smith apples
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 1/2 sticks butter, melted, plus more for the pan
- 3 1/4 cups corn flour, plus a little extra for the pan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped pine nuts, toasted in the oven until golden brown
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins, coarsely chopped and soaked in 2 tablespoons anisette
- 1/2 lemon, peel grated
- Garnish: pomegranate seeds and pomegranate molasses
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the apple slices in a bowl and sprinkle them with lemon juice. Set aside.
In a large bowl, place the sugar and melted butter and mix well. Fold in the flour and baking powder, then beat in the eggs until the mixture is smooth. Add the pine nuts, walnuts, raisins, anisette and lemon peel. Fold in the apples and stir well to combine.
Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan and pour in the batter. Bake 1 hour and allow to cool before slicing. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and pomegranate molasses.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen