Fritto Misto di Verdura (Mixed Fried Vegetables)
- 1/4 pound sweet peas in pod
- 1/4 pound green beans, ends snapped off
- 1 head broccoli, cut into thin spears
- 1 bunch scallions, root ends and greens removed
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 sweet yellow bell pepper, cored and cut into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 3 lemons, cut into wedges
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 quarts extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- Salt, to taste
Heat the oil in a deep pan with a basket until just smoking. In a wide, shallow bowl, mix half the vegetables and 1/3 of the lemon wedges. Sprinkle with 1 cup cornstarch and toss quickly with hands to coat. Toss into a large strainer with a handle and bat against hands to remove excess cornstarch. Drop the coated vegetables and lemons into the oil and cook until golden brown and crispy (about 2 minutes).
Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Immediately repeat with the 1/3 of the remaining lemons and all remaining vegetables. Season the hot fried foods with salt and serve immediately with fresh lemon wedges.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.