Fritto Misto di Verdura (Mixed Fried Vegetables)
- 1/4 pound sweet peas in pod
- 1/4 pound green beans, ends snapped off
- 1 head broccoli, cut into thin spears
- 1 bunch scallions, root ends and greens removed
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 sweet yellow bell pepper, cored and cut into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 3 lemons, cut into wedges
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 quarts extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- Salt, to taste
Heat the oil in a deep pan with a basket until just smoking. In a wide, shallow bowl, mix half the vegetables and 1/3 of the lemon wedges. Sprinkle with 1 cup cornstarch and toss quickly with hands to coat. Toss into a large strainer with a handle and bat against hands to remove excess cornstarch. Drop the coated vegetables and lemons into the oil and cook until golden brown and crispy (about 2 minutes).
Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Immediately repeat with the 1/3 of the remaining lemons and all remaining vegetables. Season the hot fried foods with salt and serve immediately with fresh lemon wedges.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved
Recipe courtesy of Mario Batali