- 1 Vidalia onion, skin removed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Creamy dill dipping sauce, recipe follows
Heat oil in a deep-fryer to 350 degrees F.
Whisk together the egg and the milk in a medium sized bowl.
Slice 1/2-an inch off the top of the onion and the bottom of the onion. Slice the onion in half, about 3/4-of the way down without slicing all the way through. Slice into quarters, then into 1/8s. Repeat this until you have cut the onion into 14 sections. Spread the "petals" of the onion apart and dip the onion in the milk mixture. Then coat it liberally with the dry ingredients. Separate the "petals" and sprinkle the dry coating between them.
Place the battered onion in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Remove to a paper towel lined sheet tray and season with salt and pepper.
Neelys Creamy Dill Sauce:
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped dill leaves
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a small bowl, combine ingredients and whisk together. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with Fried Vidalia Onion.