Grilled Halibut with BBQ Butter
- Neely's BBQ seasoning:
- 1 1/2 cups paprika
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 3/4 tablespoons onion powder
- Grilled Halibut with BBQ Butter:
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 scallion, white and light green parts only, finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Neely's BBQ seasoning
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 (6-ounce) halibut fillets, about 1-inch thick
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed
Stir the paprika, sugar and onion powder together in a bowl and set aside.
In a small bowl, using a rubber spatula, combine the oregano, scallions, butter, barbeque seasoning, orange zest, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cayenne pepper. Spoon the seasoned butter onto a piece of plastic wrap. Using the plastic wrap as a shield for your hands, shape the butter into a log, wrapping it in the plastic, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Heat a grill to medium-high.
Brush the asparagus with some more oil and season the stalks with salt and pepper. Grill the spears until they are tender, turning them once, about 6 minutes total.
Transfer the fish and asparagus to serving plates. Spread a generous tablespoon of the barbeque butter over the fish. Serve the remaining butter alongside the fish, if desired.
Recipe courtesy The Neelys