Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1 (20-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup peach preserves
- 1 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 orange, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Neely Dry Rub
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
For the sweet and sour sauce: Mix the tomato sauce, peach preserves, chili sauce, sugar, orange zest, orange juice, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and Neely Dry Rub in a medium saucepan. Simmer while you prepare the meatballs.
For the meatballs: Combine the turkey, shallot, panko, Parmesan, egg, parsley, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper together in a large bowl and mix well. Shape the mixture into the size of walnuts and place in a single layer in a 13-by-9-inch casserole dish.
Pour the sweet and sour sauce over the meatballs, cover with foil, and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 10 minutes more. Serve with decorative bamboo toothpicks.
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis