Sweet Potato Bisque
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 -inch knob ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 chipotle pepper, canned in adobo sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cups apple cider
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sour cream, for serving, optional
Add the butter to a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Once the butter melts and becomes foamy, add the garlic, onions and ginger and saute until tender and fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the chipotle pepper and saute for 1 minute longer while breaking it up with a wooden spoon. Add the chicken broth, apple cider and sweet potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Puree the soup using an immersion blender until smooth and velvety. Finish by stirring in the heavy cream. Top each bowl with sour cream if using.
Recipe courtesy The Neelys