Uncle Bubba's Fry Mix:
- 6 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 pounds, uncooked shrimp, peeled (tails left on), deveined and butterflied
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup Louisiana hot sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
- 2 cups Uncle Bubba's Fry Mix, recipe follows
- Peanut oil, for deep frying
- Tartar sauce, for dressing
- Lettuce and tomato slices, for topping
For Uncle Bubba's Fry Mix:
- Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 4 months.
Lightly sprinkle the shrimp with salt and pepper. In a small bowl mix the eggs, 1/4 cup water and hot sauce. Place the fry mix in a shallow dish. Dip each shrimp in the egg mixture and then into the fry mix.
Cook's Note: If the fry gets lumpy you can sift it to make smooth.
Heat 3 to 4-inches of peanut oil in a Dutch oven or deep-fryer) to 350 degrees F.
Place the shrimp in the pot and fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove with a clean strainer or slotted spoon and drain on paper towels for a minute.
Serve on a toasted hoagie roll with tartar sauce, lettuce and tomatoes.