- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 1 package frozen pierogis, potato filled dumplings -- any brand or variety
- 1 1/2 pounds kielbasa, cut in large slices on an angle
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large red onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds kale, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound sauerkraut, drained
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard or 2 tablespoons prepared spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika, 1/3 palm full
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dried dill leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- A handful of parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
Cover the bottom of a skillet with softened butter. Arrange pierogis in the pan in a single layer. Add 1 cup water to the pan. Cover pan and place over medium high heat. Cook covered 8 minutes, remove lid and cook out any liquid in the pot.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Brown kielbasa and remove from pan. Cover kielbasa with foil to keep warm. Drain fat and add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Raise heat to high. Add onion to the pan and saute for a few minutes to soften. Add chopped kale in batches as it wilts into the pan. When kale is wilted, add sauerkraut. Season stir-fry with mustard, paprika, salt and pepper. Return kielbasa to pan. Toss to combine and transfer to a serving platter.
Let the pierogis "stick" and brown in the butter as the liquid evaporates. Remove crisp pierogis from heat to a plate.