- 1 pound capellini or angel hair pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3/4 cup roasted garlic cloves
- 1 (12-ounce) beer
- 36 small clams in shells, scrubbed
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- Mixed green salad and bottled dressing, for serving, optional
Cook capellini according to package directions.
Meanwhile, heat oil and butter together in a large skillet. Add shallots and 3/4 cup roasted garlic cloves saute 3 minutes, until shallots are soft. Add beer and bring to a simmer. Add clams, cover and simmer until shells open, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, remove 12 clams and reserve for another meal. Drain capellini, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water and add to clams in skillet, adding the reserved 1/2 cup pasta if necessary to "loosen" the sauce. Simmer 1 minute to heat through. Remove from heat and top with parsley and Parmesan. Serve with a mixed green salad and bottled dressing, if desired.