- 1 (17.5 ounce) package sugar cookie mix
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Royal Icing
- 2 large egg whites or 5 tablespoons meringue powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- Sanding sugar, if desired
For Gingerbread Cookies:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cookies: In a large mixing bowl, blend all ingredients together and chill for up to 1 hour. Roll dough out on floured board about 1/8-inch thick. Cut desired shapes with cookie cutters and place onto sheet pan. Bake for 8 minutes in preheated oven. Let cool to room temperature before decorating.