Spicy Vegetable Wrap
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3/4 pound)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder, plus 1 teaspoon
- Coarse grained salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can peeled plum tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 cup carrots, julienne or shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 5 ounces washed baby spinach leaves
- 4 small whole-wheat pitas or other flatbread
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup plain lowfat yogurt
- Lime wedges, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Place sweet potatoes, olive oil, 1 teaspoon curry powder, and a dash of salt in a plastic bag. Shake until well coated. Spread on a cookie sheet. Bake, until golden and cooked through, stirring once at the halfway point, 18 to 20 minutes.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking, combine tomatoes, chickpeas, carrots, red pepper flakes, and remaining curry powder in a medium saucepot. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to a simmer. Add cooked sweet potatoes, stir in the spinach, and cook until spinach is wilted, 1 to 2 minutes
Divide among the pita, top each sandwich with 1/4 of the cilantro leaves and 1/4 of the yogurt. Serve with lime wedges.
Recipe courtesy of Kathleen Daelemans