For the Red Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 10 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup chicken broth
For the turkey sausage:
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
For the scrambled eggs:
- 8 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey jack
- 1 cup sour cream
- Sunny's Refried Beans, recipe follows
- Special Equipment: 10 by 12-inch baking dish
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
To make the red sauce: Heat the oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and salt, and saute until onions start to soften, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, and tomato paste and saute until paste starts to brown, another 4 to 6 minutes. Add tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer until tomatoes break down and sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Season with salt, to taste.
To make the turkey sausage: In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients but the oil with your hands. Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until pan is hot. Add sausage and brown until turkey is almost crispy, breaking up the sausage mixture as it cooks, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
In a bowl, mix together tomatoes and cilantro. Set aside.
To scramble the eggs: Whisk the eggs with the milk in a medium bowl. In a fry pan, over medium low heat, melt butter. Add eggs and let sit to form curds, about 30 seconds, then gently move curds around pan, let sit another 30 seconds and repeat until eggs are just cooked, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
To assemble enchiladas: Grease the baking dish lightly with oil. Heap 2 or 3 large spoonfuls of the turkey sausage into the center of a tortilla. Put another 2 spoonfuls of the egg mixture on top followed by the chopped tomato and 1 tablespoon of each cheese. Roll up tightly and place in the baking dish, seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Pour Red Sauce down the middle over tortillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Serve with dollop of sour cream and Sunny's Refried Beans on the side.
Sunny's Refried Beans:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1/4 cup diced onions
- 1 packet Sazon seasoning (about 1 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans pinto beans
- 1 lime, juiced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, jalapeno, onion and Sazon. Saute until they start to soften, about 3 minutes. Add 1 can of pinto beans including the liquid in the can. Simmer until beans heat through and soften, another 4 to 5 minutes. Using a fork or potato masher, mash the beans. Drain the second can of pinto beans and add those to the pot. Stir mixture together and cook until beans warm through. Stir in lime juice and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve with Breakfast Enchiladas.