The cardinal sin of entertaining is running out of refreshments, but you don't want to be eating leftovers for weeks. Here's how to estimate portions for your next dinner party.
- Plan on each guest consuming three alcoholic drinks, and make sure to provide non-alcoholic drinks as well.
- If you're serving a meal, allow 4 to 6 hors d'oeuvres per guest. But if you're only serving hors d'oeuvres and cocktails, you should count on at least 12 pieces per guest.
- As a general rule, a portion of meat is 1/4 to 1/3 pounds per person.
- Estimate about 1/2 cup of vegetables, rice, pasta or salad per guest.
- Unless you know otherwise, assume you'll have at least one vegetarian guest. Make sure to have some hearty meatless options available.
- Prepare some dishes that can be served at room temperature, so you don't have to worry about your hot entree getting cold or your ice-cream dessert melting.
- After a large meal, a 9-inch pie or tart will serve 8 to 10 people.