Aaron McCargo, Jr.'s Steak Fajita Chili
- 1 1/4 cups canola oil
- 2 pounds boneless beef short ribs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons hot chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 15 -ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Guacamole, sour cream, taco-blend cheese and fried tortilla strips, for garnish
Heat 1/4 cup canola oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the short ribs with salt and pepper and sear until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the meat to another large pot (set the first pot aside) and add the broth. Cover and cook until tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 cup oil in the reserved pot over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, oregano, flour, 1 tablespoon pepper, and salt to taste. Cook, stirring, until the flour is smooth, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside until the meat is done.
Transfer the short ribs to a cutting board; cover the broth and set aside. Let the meat cool slightly, then cut into chunks. Place the pot with the vegetables over medium-high heat. Slowly add the warm broth and whisk until smooth. Stir in the chopped short ribs and the beans, bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 15 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with guacamole, sour cream, cheese and fried tortilla strips, for a little extra crunch.
Photograph by Kate Mathis
More Recipes and Ideas:
Sliced Chili Rubbed Flank Steak on Spicy Rice with Shrimp and Guacamole Stacks, Chili-Rubbed Sirloin Steak with Seasoned Shoestring Fries, Steak Fajitas with Fresh Guacamole, Main Dish, Flank Steak Recipes, Chicken Chili Recipes, Easy Appetizer Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Roast Beef Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.