Egg White and Frittata
- 2 medium sized zucchini, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- Olive oil, for grilling
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup diced pancetta, (6 slices)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade fresh basil leaves
- 12 egg whites
- 1/4 cup Swiss cheese
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and cook until crisp. Add garlic and allow to cook until fragrant. Stir in the grilled zucchini, tomatoes, and fresh herbs. Slightly beat egg whites in a large bowl and add to the pan. Turn the heat off, stir in the Swiss cheese and season with coarse salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Place in oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until egg is set. Remove from the oven and serve.
Recipe courtesy Aaron McCargo, Jr.