Chewy Granola Bars
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 cups low-fat granola mix (not cereal)
- 1/2 cup sweetened flake coconut
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
Combine brown sugar, honey, vanilla and butter in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower heat; simmer 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Cool.
Meanwhile, combine granola, coconut, raisins, 1/2 cup chocolate chips and almonds in a large bowl.
Stir brown sugar mixture into granola mixture. Spread in a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan. Press remaining chocolate chips into top. Refrigerate 2 hours or until completely cooled. Cut into bars.
Recipe courtesy of Family Circle Magazine